Dear Bender JCC Community,
With the latest recommendation from the Montgomery County Health Department, the state of Maryland, and the CDC lifting the mask mandate for vaccinated individuals and removing capacity restrictions, we wanted to take this opportunity to update you on the Bender JCC COVID-19 health procedures, which will take effect on May 28. We have consulted with many health and medical experts throughout the pandemic, including our own medical advising team, and we will continue to do so. We understand that each individual or family may have her/his/their own set of needs, considerations, and personal philosophies, and we are working hard to balance them in every policy decision. We will continue to evaluate and assess procedures as we move through this next phase together. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our team.
Please note that these changes do not affect any policies or procedures that have been put in place by the Bender JCC Early Childhood Center or Camp JCC.
Health Policy Updates as of May 28, 2021
- Masks are required to be worn when entering/exiting the building, in all common areas and hallways, and the family locker rooms.
- Masks are now OPTIONAL for our vaccinated members while in the fitness center, pools, adult locker rooms, gymnasium, or group exercise studios.
- Per the CDC’s recommendation, we are requiring all unvaccinated members and children under 12 to wear masks.
- Masks are OPTIONAL for outdoor adult programming.
- Social distancing is still encouraged and the fitness equipment will remain spaced to provide social distance to members while working out.
- Temperature checks and health screenings will no longer be required. Please do not come to the JCC if you have a temperature or are feeling ill.
- Acceptance of a new health waiver is required your first return to the Bender JCC – you can sign it HERE.
- Guests are not permitted at this time.
- All capacity restrictions have been lifted in the fitness center, pools, gymnasium and group exercise studios.
- Reservations are still required through ClubReady – make your reservations HERE.
- Reservation limits and time limits for reservations have been lifted.
- More than one person per lap lane is allowed, please view the updated pool schedules HERE.
Due to privacy issues, the Bender JCC will not track members’ vaccination status; however, we will ask members to share their COVID-19 vaccination status upon entry. We do strongly urge all members of the Bender JCC who are eligible to get vaccinated to do so. You can register for vaccinations in Maryland here.
All Bender JCC members are asked to continue wearing their masks in the building in all common areas including the family locker rooms. We have many children under the age of 12 in the building during the summer who are not yet eligible to get vaccinated and their safety and wellbeing continue to be of the utmost importance. The campers will also be masked. While working out in the fitness center, vaccinated members may choose to take off their masks, but masks must be worn entering the building and walking through the halls and placed back on before leaving the fitness center or adult locker rooms. Per the CDC, only individuals who are fully vaccinated may remove their masks indoors. Of course, some members who are vaccinated will feel more comfortable continuing to wear their masks in the fitness center and that is perfectly acceptable. Please be advised that we will continue with strict cleaning protocols and will be practicing and encouraging social distancing as we enter this new phase of the pandemic. Social distancing adds an extra layer of safety and also provides the space that some individuals need as they begin to gather again in person and acclimate.