The Bender JCC celebrates Judaism throughout the year with a variety of holiday celebrations and observances, family and community gatherings, and festive workshops.
Center-wide and festive for the entire family, Center celebrations incorporate the entire Bender JCC community for celebrations featuring activities for all ages.
Questions about Bender JCC holiday and Center celebrations? Contact us!
|Grand (Parent) Festival of Lights||Thursday, December 19th - 11:00 AM|
|Family Chanukah Party||Monday, December 23rd - 4:30 - 6:30 PM|
|Family Fun Day 2019||Wednesday, December 25th - 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM|
Celebrate Chanukah with your grandchildren at the Bender JCC Grandparenting Center!
Join us for a Chanukah themed Miss Ellie Music class followed by snacks, stories and candle lighting.
In addition to these activities, you’ll also receive a special Chanukah gift from the Bender JCC! This gift will include a game and creative tools you can use to connect with your grandchild.
Chanukah is so much Funikah when you celebrate at the J!
Celebrate the second night of Chanukah by bringing your family to the Bender JCC for a candle lighting ceremony with latkes and donuts, crafts, storytime and more.
- Candle lighting ceremony
- Chanukah Storytime
- Chanukah Arts & Crafts
- Latkes & Donuts provided
- $5 for the whole family
For more information contact Deb Rosenberg at 301-348-3847
Eight More Ideas for Chanukah Family Nights
Each night of Chanukah provides a new opportunity for families to spend quality time together. To help inspire Jewish family moments this Chanukah, here’s a list of possible evening themes.
1) DECORATION NIGHT
On the first night, decorate your home for Chanukah. Need ideas? Check out PJ Library’s 12 Hanukkah Activities We Love.
2) BRING LIGHT INTO THE WORLD (AND GIVE A HUG)
3) FAMILY TREE NIGHT
Trace the roots of your family tree. Start by telling stories and asking each other questions. List whoever comes to mind–whether they’re biological or chosen family. Click here for some family tree templates.
4) SONG & DANCE NIGHT
Circle round the Chanukah lights and sing a few holiday classics.
5) STORY NIGHT
Pick out and read your favorite PJ Library Chanukah story. Get the whole family involved and have them act out the parts.
6) GRATITUDE NIGHT
Take time to just “be” as a family. Talk about the things you’re grateful for–each other, your home, games you play, favorite treats to eat, quirks, traditions, anything.
7) SHARE THE JOY
Invite a friend to your house to celebrate Chanukah with you! You could also bring Chanukah to someone else. For example, go to Ring House and help someone light the candles.
8) CHANUKAH WALK
Go outside! Take a walk and enjoy the natural light outside. Also, see if you can find any lit up menorah in someone else’s window.
Come spend the day at the J! Join us for family gym and swim, movies, and more!
Event times and activities are subject to change. The event is free but please register in advance
What’s happening at the J? And how do I get there!
- Family Swim (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.) Come make a splash with your family in Bender JCC’s indoor pool. The slow lane (1/3 of the pool) will be dedicated to open swim.
- Family Gym (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.) Family Gym features colorful climbing, sliding and rolling toys for a parent or guardian-accompanied children 18 months to 7 years old.
- Little Tot Play (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.) The Bender-Dosik Parenting Center is a fantastic space for the littlest tots (3 and under) to climb and explore; and play with age-appropriate toys.
- Stories & More (11 a.m. – 12 p.m.) Join the Gal Naor, Shlicha to the Bender JCC, for Storytime and Arts & Crafts. This activity will be in both Hebrew and English.
- Catch a flick!* Come be entertained at the Kreeger Auditorium! Seats are available on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Lunch (11 a.m. – 1 p.m.) Tovavi Falafel will be selling delicious lunches in the Social Hall from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. while supplies last!
Children under the age of 12 MUST be under adult supervision at the JCCGW.
*Please leave all strollers in the first hallway to the left (Art Studio A)
Children under the age of 13 MUST be under adult supervision at the Bender JCC
Questions? Email Deb Rosenberg or call 301-348-3487.