The Bender JCC Preschool and Kids After School programs will continue to be closed through May 15.
Governor Hogan announced the closure of several types of businesses throughout Maryland, including fitness centers beginning March 16 at 5 PM until the state of emergency has been rescinded. At this time, we do not know when we will be allowed to reopen.
As we continue to do our best to provide value and community while we are closed, we wanted to keep you informed on the financial status of the Bender JCC. Like many other small businesses, we applied for funding from the Small Business Administration Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). This program is designed to provide funds to retain employees on the payroll for up to 8 weeks. We were very fortunate to learn that our application for funding from the PPP was approved late last week.
We have received several questions from members about whether the staff is continuing to be paid at this time. We want to be clear that we are very fortunate that we have not initiated any layoffs or furloughs, and all staff will continue to be paid for the next two months as a result of PPP funding. While the vast majority of the PPP funding will be directed to staff salaries, some of the funds will go towards the JCC’s fixed operating costs that are eligible under the PPP.
Over the next two months, we will use the PPP funds to cover about 80% of the pay and benefits of our entire staff. Fitness staff will also have the ability to earn additional income by providing virtual training and exercise sessions.
Again, we would like to thank everyone who has continued to support us through your membership dues and donations. We are fundraising at this time to help cover the costs of building overhead that cannot be paid through PPP funds. We know that we would not be able to get through this crisis without the support of our community.
Program changes Updated 4/1/20:
Out of an abundance of caution, the Bender JCC has decided to cancel or postpone a few large upcoming events. We will continue to monitor the situation and update this page with program and operational changes.
- Sunday, May 17 | Mount Vernon Virtuosi Concert – cancelled
- The Selma Sweetbaum Satellite Nutrition Program (this includes Mondays at Ring House, Tuesdays at the J, Wednesdays at Har Tzeon and Young Israel Shomrei, and Thursdays at har Tzeon). – all sites are temporarily closed
For the safety of everyone at the Bender JCC, we are asking that members, participants, and staff:
- Do not come to the Bender JCC if you feel sick or have recently traveled overseas.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your, or your child’s, hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If you have fever, cough or shortness of breath, or have been in close contact with someone who has Covid-19, seek medical treatment.
Here’s what we have done to provide a safer environment and help prevent transmissions:
- Building-wide signage about handwashing
- Fitness center signage about wiping down equipment
- Hand sanitizer dispensers at the entrance and throughout the building
- Additional disinfection of surfaces in preschool and equipment in the fitness center
- Frequent handwashing of children in the preschool (we do not use hand sanitizer with preschool students)
We will continue to provide regular, transparent fact-based communications to keep you apprised of any impact on our Bender JCC community.
- If you have questions related to our fitness operations, please contact Treva Bustow, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions related to early childhood and youth programs, please contact Susan Fischer, email@example.com.
- If you have questions about adult and senior programs, please contact Adam Tennen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions about rentals, please contact Aaron Martin, email@example.com.