December 1, 2016 Update
We recognize that the stairs at the indoor pool were not finished correctly by our contractor and in order to make the repairs we will need to close the indoor pool.
The indoor pool will be CLOSED Monday, December 26 through Saturday, December 31. The pool will reopen on Sunday, January 1.
If for some reason we are not able to reopen on the Sunday, January 1, members will be notified via email, text and an update posted on our website.
While there are a number of outstanding items still open on our renovation punch list we want you to know that our contractor is continuing to work on the open items and we have a target date of December 31 to complete all of these items.
We hope that you are enjoying the renovated facilities and we thank you for your patience as we continue to improve the JCC. As always, please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
September 22, 2016 Update
- New floor and ceiling tile, brighter lights, better water circulation, showers on the deck and air conditioning
- Handicapped access buttons on all doors in and out of the pool
- New non-slip tile floors, new full and half-size lockers, an additional shower, better traffic flow, improved air circulation, more dressing areas and mirrors
- Handicapped access buttons from the fitness center
- Dedicated make-up area in women’s locker room
- A massage room that will be open by November 1
- Badge access is no longer required to enter the adult locker rooms from the fitness center
- New saunas and steam rooms will open by the second week of October
- New lounge areas will be completed with furniture and TVs during the third week of October
- Shelves in the shower areas coming soon
- Shower seats by early November
- Punch list items that will be worked on generally after-hours
September 14, 2016 Update
Message from Michael
If you have been in the building recently, you have seen that we have made great progress on the indoor pool and we have also made excellent progress on the locker rooms. Our contractor has been working extremely hard to meet our delivery date of September 18th despite losing two weeks early in construction due to unforeseen issues in the pool area that could not have been known until we opened the ceiling. They have made up most of that delay, but during our weekly construction meeting yesterday they informed us that they will need a few additional days to put the finishing touches on these projects before final inspections. While the locker rooms and indoor pool will not open as expected on Sunday, September 18th, barring any delays due to inspection, we do expect to open within the next week.
As soon as we have a confirmed opening date we will communicate it with everyone.
In the meantime, all aquatic activities will continue in the outdoor pool and the outdoor pool hours will remain the same as previously scheduled.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions (email@example.com). Thank you for your continued patience. I am sure you will be pleased with new locker rooms and indoor pool facilities.
July 28, 2016 Update
Message from Michael
We are in the middle of summer and the building is buzzing with campers and, again this summer, construction workers. Phase 2 of our renovation is well underway and I want to thank you for your patience and understanding through another summer of construction. In particular, I recognize the inconvenience to our fitness members and swimmers of a single set of smaller locker rooms and the unavailability of the indoor pool. I know that the family locker rooms were not designed for adults with business attire and it can be crowded at various times. As a daily user of the fitness center, I, too, have experienced these frustrations and am looking forward to moving back into the adult locker rooms which are scheduled to re-open on Sunday, September 18th along with the renovated indoor pool. Click here to continue reading.
July 6, 2016 Update
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington has a new name!
It’s official. What began as the Jewish Community Center of the District of Columbia and was renamed the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington over 50 years ago will now be named the Bender JCC of Greater Washington (Bender JCC), as the result of a $6.25 million gift from the Sondra and Howard Bender family to name the JCC and its early childhood center. Click here to read the full press release.
Haven’t had a chance to visit yet? Take a virtual tour of phase 1 highlights.
We are very excited to begin Phase 2 of the renovation!
Please excuse our dust and excess noise as we begin this process.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility!
Health & Fitness Center Entrance Updates
The water fountains in the Health & Fitness Center will be turned off starting on Monday, June 27. Please use the water fountains upstairs to fill your water bottles.
Beginning on Monday, June 20th members, guests and staff will not be able to walk past the babysitting room to enter the Health & Fitness Center near the adult locker rooms. A temporary wall will be constructed while the adult locker room renovations are underway. Access to the Health & Fitness Center will still be available through the hallway near the indoor pool windows. We thank you for your flexibility.
Work has begun on the new Bender ECC hallway and reception area. Work on the lower level classrooms will begin around June 13, when the school year has concluded.
Adult Locker Rooms (Summer 2016)
Work is scheduled to begin on the adult locker rooms on May 31. The adult locker rooms will be enlarged during this renovation. This complete renovation will improve the space, flow and air circulation in the locker rooms.
- We will be temporarily suspending full body massages as of May 31st . Massage will restart when the adult locker rooms have reopened.
- The renovated locker rooms will include the sauna and steam room in the spa area. Unfortunately, the whirlpools will not be included because there is insufficient space to meet ADA requirements. We plan to add a whirlpool to the indoor pool deck at a later time.
- All rented lockers must be emptied by May 24. Members will have access to the newly renovated family locker room during this time, which will have lockers available for use on a daily basis.
Side Door Entrance
During the summer renovations, access to health & fitness and the outdoor pool will be through the front entrance only. The side door entrance will not be accessible during this phase of the renovations due to construction activity.
Indoor Pool (Summer 2016)
Work will begin on the indoor pool on May 31. The outdoor pool will be open longer hours during the week (see outdoor pool hours) and remain open at least until the indoor pool reopens (expected by mid to late September).
All summer swim classes will take place in the outdoor pool.